Jump to Navigation

Wilmington Child Abandonment Lawyers

A prospective client once called to say: "My husband packed up and moved out, abandoning my kids and me. Can he be charged with abandonment? What can I do?"

The answer is that you were not abandoned, by any legal definition, but that the action could have significant consequences. Delaware is a no-fault divorce state, which means that you only need to state that the marriage is irretrievably broken and that there is no likelihood of reconciliation. Any of the following meet the definition of irretrievably broken:

  • Voluntary separation
  • Separation caused by your spouse's misconduct
  • Separation caused by your spouse's mental illness
  • Separation caused by incompatibility

If your spouse has left you, you may want to file for separation and divorce, to protect yourself against financial actions your spouse may take that will affect you. You will likely want to file a petition for custody of the children and another for payment of child support.

Wilmington Child Abandonment Attorneys

When you have questions like this, you need to discuss them with a competent, sympathetic family lawyer like Mary Boudart or Jennifer Mensinger. It is difficult, in the midst of family turmoil, to have a clear understanding of what lies ahead. Our attorneys are sensitive to this uncertainty, and can explain what happens next and what your options are.

New Castle County Spousal Abandonment Attorneys

Family law problems deserve superior representation. Call the Wilmington child abandonment attorneys at Boudart & Mensinger at 302-428-0100. First consultations at Boudart & Mensinger, LLP are offered at a discounted rate. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover.

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Boudart & Mensinger, LLP
2300 Pennsylvania Avenue, Suite 5B
Wilmington, DE 19806-1305
Phone: 302-428-0100
Fax: 302-428-0265
Wilmington Law Office Map

The family law attorneys at Boudart & Mensinger, LLP, of Wilmington, Delaware, represent clients living or working in New Castle County and the cities of Arden, Ardencroft, Ardentown, Bellefonte, Christiana, Delaware City, Elsmere, Fairfax, Greenville, Hockessin, Middletown, New Castle, Newark, Newport, Odessa, Pike Creek, Stanton and Townsend.

Privacy Policy | Law Firm Marketing by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.